Thursday, December 28, 2006

Branded...

“The rules of engagement around building a brand have changed significantly over the past 10 to 15 years. Where companies at one time could spread their message through traditional marketing, consumers now seek an enduring emotional connection with the companies they patronize. The foundation of that connection is the most important characteristic of building a world-class brand: trust. Trust with your people and trust with your customers.”
~ Howard Schultz - Chairman, Starbucks

Who would have thought we would be seeking an emotional connection with the place we get our coffee?! But don't we? Starbucks is one of my favorite places to go, not only because they make a good cup of coffee but because of the atmosphere and the individuality (where else could I order a Grande decaf non-fat easy whip Gingerbread Latte & nobody even breaks stride). My friend Claire used to work at Starbucks and I remember we would go for coffee there after she had stopped working there & she could recognize people & remember what they ordered. I also know that my dad is a regular at the Starbucks on High Street and he gets invitations to their Halloween and Christmas parties (to which they always ask if his adorable grandchildren will be there!). At the Christmas party, the kids got to decorate little trees, which they got to keep, have free snacks & treats (as did I - anything I wanted free of charge), they made snowflakes & had their pictures taken & put in the middle (these are still posted in the store) and each got a treat bag (and so did I!). So do I get my coffee at Starbucks just because they know how to make a good cup of joe? That is only one of the reasons. This is a company that gets it. They have built loyalty into the company & I am always happy to go there.

Mitch Joel says "Branding is not the logo, the brochure or the email. It's the heart & soul of a business...and the people who make up that business. A strong brand shines when the core values and beief systems of why it was created are as obvious as the logo, packaging, website & supporting marketing materials" (http://www.twistimage.com/blog/)

This is what I try to create with my business - I genuinely try to help people, whether it's picking that first baby toy or helping them get their own business started. I know from experience that it is when I am sincere that I create that loyalty. I look at what I do as so much more than just selling toys; that is only one part of what I do. I am so glad to be doing what I am doing. Even on a day like today - I spent most of the night up with Eliora, who appears to have the flu. If I had a traditional job, I would have had to call in today & try to get the day off to spend with her. However, I don't ever have to worry about sick days...or missing a school event or concert. I love my job!

Not sure what got me on this rant this morning. I guess the combination of trying to psych myself up after several days off and just being happy that I can be home with my kids when they need me the most.

2 comments:

Mitch Joel said...

Great post Cindy.

The brand is the sum of all of it's parts and that culminates as "the experience."

Starbucks is special because it's not home and it's not the office. They managed to create a brand around a third "place." Very powerful.

Also, you don't have a "job." Simply the work you love and were meant to do. You're part of a lucky few.

Enjoy it :)

Happy Holidays.

Cindi said...

Wow - thanks, Mitch. Wasn't expecting such attention on my little blog. I got to hear you speak at "The Power Within" seminar you did in Edmonton & really enjoyed it! Learned tons! And I agree - I am one of a lucky few who gets to do what I love. I don't see what I do as a job! I do what I love & get rewarded for it, both monetarily & emotionally. For me, the best part of what I do is helping others to do the same & I have realized after 3 years that there are few that are willing to take the risks & stretch themselves. You talked about spending the majority of your time with people you don't know & this is something & I have strived to do and train others to do as well. Thanks for your comments!
Cindi